Back in the Bone Room

by doodaddy on February 12, 2009

Working Mom and I make babies with lots of hair and, it would seem, curvy feet. For the second time in just as many babies, three months of weekly foot casts have been prescribed for metatarsals that meta when they’re supposed to tarse (or something like that).

And lo, the Blueberry got to visit the same casting room and the same three bone techs who’d fallen in love with her sister two years ago.

Blueberry getting casted

And therein, at just three months, you see another stark difference between Blue’s personality and her older sister’s. (Do three-month old babies even have personalities? Um, yep.) Boobaby was pretty chill about getting the casts; she would flirt with the techs for a while but soon started to fuss. Pout. Scream.

But the Blueberry? She fell asleep, right in the middle of the whole thing.

How did we get such different kids out of the same genes?

Blue falls asleep as strange men mangle her feet.

tagged as , in Challenges,doctors ·

Veronica February 12, 2009 at 1:43 am

You know, that doesn’t look pleasant to deal with, as a parent. How long does she have to keep them on?

Ann marie February 12, 2009 at 3:20 am

Upset for you for having to deal with casting but relieved that it was no horrible accident that was blogged about.. that is the sweetest most precious shot.. When she gets 16 and you are pulling your hair out you need that by your bed.. and to show her while you are screaming you were sooooo sweet.. WHAT HAPPENED. ..

kidding..

denese February 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

oh the hair. my now-almost-6-month-old daughter had that much at birth.

i hope the metas tarse well from here! i am also very glad “bone room” wasn’t referring to something much worse.

Nan February 12, 2009 at 5:46 pm

She has grown so much!

Jerri Ann February 12, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Hey, how adorable is that little baby just snoozing away. I happen to have 2 children from the exact same gene pool who are just that different. One that is loving and tries to please everyone….the other one would just as soon kick you in the nuts as look at you…..I swear, one angel, one demon and I did not know that could happen.

From a set of parents who are both only children, watching these 2 children interact with one another, one kissing on strangers and not bothering to ask if he should, the other kicking and flailing like a mad man…..my husband and I look at one another and ask, “why do they act like this?” and people say, that’s how brothers do. My question is, “brothers just walk by and knock each other in the head for no reason?” and people say, “Yea!”

I say, what in the heck is wrong with this picture…….? Oh well, live and learn…..

doodaddy February 12, 2009 at 10:28 pm

@Veronica – Probably about three months, although it depends a little on how often she kicks ’em off (which she’s already done, right site). Casting an infant is apparently pretty tricky — only one of the three techs has a perfect record of casts that never fall off.

doodaddy February 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm

@Ann marie – Oh, my children will be wonderful teenagers. I’m burning incense and stuff.

doodaddy February 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm

@denese – Oh, you’ve got hairy ones, too? It’s weird, isn’t it — Boobaby’s nurses in the maternity ward called her “the toddler” because she was so big and hirsute…

doodaddy February 12, 2009 at 10:30 pm

@Nan – I know, the first months are uncanny, huh?

doodaddy February 12, 2009 at 10:31 pm

@Jerri Ann – Hoping the kissing on strangers stuff is a phase…