It Takes a Village to Wear a Dirndl

by doodaddy on January 15, 2009

Since Boo received a dirndl from her germanophile grandfather — months ago — we’ve been trying to get her to wear it. We tried the usual bribes disguised as rewards, of course: no result.

And reverse psychology (“I sure hope you don’t wear that dress!”) didn’t work nearly as well as it always does in cartoons. I guess Boo’s not as dim as Daffy Duck, or I’m not as clever as Bugs Bunny.

Months, I repeat, of begging and wheedling and pointing out and persuading came to a head when our friend and the Blueberry’s godmother visited.

Boo: “Tell me what I should wear!”
Friend: “How about the dirndl?”
Boo: “OK!”

Voy-ee-la and the thing was done, and she’s worn the damn dress a half-dozen times since, too:

Fern wearing her dirndl

Now, was that so hard?

I get that almost-3-year-olds test boundaries and can be — let’s just say “oppositional” — with their own parents. Why, then, are they so eager to please as soon as anyone else comes over?

I suspect the answer lies in Mother Nature’s primary goal: the torture of all humanity.

For future reference, you’ll know you’re in Boo’s true inner circle when she doesn’t wear what you request, and instead tosses a hissy over wanting her infant sister’s clothes (tight, you think?) and ruby slippers — and no jacket, despite the rain.

And if that happens? Just pull in someone off the street to pick out an outfit — it’s what we do.

tagged as in behavior,clothing,community ·

mom, again January 15, 2009 at 5:39 am

What I would have tried would be finding story books with the heroine dressed in a drindl, or at any rate, someone was dressed so. One of my girls would definately fallen for it and the other might then go along seeing how much attention this got the first.

Or not.

Xbox4NappyRash January 15, 2009 at 9:44 am

She’s so very very pretty in that.

Lynnie January 16, 2009 at 1:54 pm

We’re experiencing this phenomenon now with music. I can’t believe it, my daughter is only 5! I thought that was supposed to happen closer to teenage-hood! She rejects anything I choose and will only listen to what I detest. And she used to be so cool! But thanks for reminding me it’s just how preschoolers are. Hopefully there will be a lull when she starts kindergarten and she will listen to cool music again. I will try the someone-off-the-street trick and see if I can at least get to listen to some Boney M soon (hey, I am using the term “cool” loosely!).

Jerri Ann January 18, 2009 at 9:58 pm

My son, you know the one, the one that is 4.2 years old and not potty trained……he left home every morning last week at 7:30 without shoes….it was freaking 30 degrees, but he would throw these hissy fits, flipping and flopping in the floor over nothing..what to wear, what not to wear, a coat, no coat, a hood, no hood, gloves but not those gloves and I would realize we had to go or the other child was going to be late for school and he would be right behind me when I got ready to lock the door….but shoeless because geeez is it so hard to just leave the doggone things on while you thrash about in the floor?

thank you, I feel better now.

doodaddy January 22, 2009 at 9:22 am

@mom, again – Oh, she likes the dress — she says it looks like something Frida Kahlo would wear, which is her ultimate compliment.

doodaddy January 22, 2009 at 9:24 am

@Xbox4NappyRash – Aw, thanks. It’s weird to see her all dressed up, since she usually heads for the mud-and-nail-polish look.

doodaddy January 22, 2009 at 9:26 am

@Jerri Ann – Maybe just bind his feet with adhesive tape? C:

Jason February 26, 2009 at 8:03 am

I know what you mean. My kids never want to wear anything I pick out for them to wear.