Sturgis Santa

by doodaddy on December 17, 2008

20081216-006

Even Santa feels the need to arrange her hair.

It took me three years to drag Boobaby out to see Santa Claus. Call me crazy, but the thought of waiting an hour in line to pay extortionist rates for posed and washed-out photos seemed less than savory.

So when we went down to the corner of O’Farrell and Stockton the other day, it wasn’t to see the department store Santa right inside, but instead to marvel at the cute puppies and kittens that the SPCA installs in Macy’s windows every year around this time, complete with homey displays for them to roam around in.

20081216-004

Santa, looking grim. I think he suddenly realized that Boo might never really smile.

But then there was Santa, just sitting there, shooting bull. Where I’d expected a queue, lascivious elves, and an escape slide along the lines of A Christmas Story, there was only a trio of beefy guys who looked like they’d been recruited from a weekend motorcycle club. The one who happened to have a full white beard also happened to be dressed in red and sitting on his throne.

Boo, not having been warned about this little adventure, was reticent, but eventually agreed to pose after we assured her that without this photo, grandma would not give her anything for Christmas. (Grandmas who might be reading: we didn’t specify which grandma.)

So, finally, the elf with the coiled snakes tattoo took pictures while the one with a wild-west mustache explained that I’d have to find a Macy’s register to plunk down my more or less reasonable amount of cash. “Mrs. Claus won’t let us touch the money!” he explained, at which point he poked me in the ribs, one harried hubby to another.

“Heh, heh,” I sympathized, wondering why this elf was hanging out with Mrs. Claus at all, and did Santa know?

So what was it, then? Department store torture? Rite of passage? Or, like so many things, one more memory for the books?

You decide:

20081216-010

Finally.

tagged as in celebrations,goofiness,hair ·

Annie December 17, 2008 at 11:32 am

I am impressed! Impressed that you took her and impressed at Boo’s composure – she’s adorable.

My Four Year Old won’t go anywhere NEAR Santa – she wants nothing to do with him in the flesh – she’s just happy for him to come in the dark of night and leave the goodies!

Aimee Greeblemonkey December 17, 2008 at 1:33 pm

I love it!

Joe December 17, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Very cool Santa pics, but I have to admit…I am a little freaked out by Santa, and I guess that’s why my kids don’t go near him. Kind of a clown thing. That middle picture is too funny though. His expression says it all.

Nan December 17, 2008 at 3:30 pm

I really like the first picture, best of all. I just love your daughter’s hair… reminds me of my middle boy’s before I had to cut it for school. They should relax the rules for boys with beautiful hair…

doodaddy December 17, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Yes, @Annie, Santa is a little creepy, but the fact that these just seemed like pretty normal guys (*way* normal, really) was a help. Plus there was no “scene” — no lines or elves or high-pressure hoses to keep the hordes of kids away…

doodaddy December 17, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Yeah, @Joe, except don’t kids hit a stage where they *love* what their parents hate? Careful — your kids maybe will become Santa groupies in high school…

Amber December 18, 2008 at 8:31 am

Hee, hee. Love the santa pics. We missed our window last year… the only time we were at the mall with a 3 month old… because our son was dressed in fall colors. And you can’t have a santa picture in fall colors. Can you? 😉

doodaddy December 18, 2008 at 11:08 am

Yeah, @Amber, like I’m going to get Boo into Christmas clothes. I think we managed a jacket that day, which is more than we usually do. It’s all pink, ballet clothes, baby clothes.

cryitout December 18, 2008 at 2:14 pm

I’m impressed you actually stepped foot in a mall. Was that a first for you?

Cute pic!

doodaddy December 18, 2008 at 3:19 pm

@cryitout – Ah, the Union Square Macy’s isn’t really a mall, though, is it? More of a city street — escape routes on every corner that don’t just feed you back into the retail maw…

Rattling the Kettle December 19, 2008 at 2:38 pm

Is that maw gaping, by any chance?

Also, what, Santa couldn’t find a bigger chair?