Do Laundry Every Day, and Other Advice for the At-Home Parent

by doodaddy on October 22, 2008

I usually try to avoid “advising” people too much about parenting. For one thing, direct advice never works without a long period of listening and sympathy — that’s why those little pearls of wisdom you get from strangers never ring true, even when they might be pretty accurate. “You shouldn’t let your daughter walk around the glass pit with only socks on.”

Every so often, though, someone asks me for plain advice about this at-home parent gig, and even though my sagest words to date have been “Um, you’ll do fine…” I decided to jot down some of the things I wish I’d known before I started in an article over at GNM Parents:

Lily’s mom asked me a direct question that stopped me cold: “So, what should I know about being an at-home parent?”

I thought back to my nearly three years of experience at this gig, and the one challenge that came to mind, the one thing I wished someone had warned me about, was this: “Do laundry every day.”

Don’t worry, the other ideas are smarter. To read the entire article on the GNM site, click here.

tagged as in stay-at-home dad,Tips for Doodaddies ·

AMR October 22, 2008 at 5:24 am

I shall pilfer this article and post it for my NC friends — really well done.

doodaddy October 22, 2008 at 11:07 am

@AMR – Feel free! Let me know what they think in NC.

Dawn October 22, 2008 at 1:15 pm

actually, that one pretty much sums it up.

Jerri Ann October 23, 2008 at 4:10 pm

No no no, only do laundry once a day, if you do it everyday then you ruin every day of your life. If you do it all in one day, you’ve only ruined one day of the week, but laundry every day….no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO

doodaddy October 26, 2008 at 10:29 pm

@Jerri Ann – Laundry only ruins my day if it’s the only thing that happens all day. When I wake up I grab one of our three hampers and run it down to the garage, sort it into the sorter, then pull the drying out and start a new load in the washer. Maybe twice a week I’ll fold everything that’s dry. Total time most days is 15 minutes, and it saves a major weekend headache… but that’s just me.

Curt January 8, 2009 at 1:03 am

Im with you on that, but I think it goes further. I mean, do the dishes every day, tidy up, straighten up… One of the things that I think is important it a little bit everyday, and then things do fall apart. Once I let things slide for a few days, and it looked like a tornado hit. It was totally crazy! Just keep ahead of things works for me:)