Out-thunk by a 2-year old, again.

by doodaddy on September 23, 2008

“Daddy, lookit the airplane!”

I love how “lookit” is its own word to kids, like “Imagonna” and “Upupup!”

“I see it! What a long contrail.” Gotta get the two-dollar words in there somewhere.

“Where’s the contrail going?”

“Well, I don’t know where the airplane is going, Boo. It’s heading east, so maybe it’s going to visit grandma and papa or grumpus and granna. But I don’t have any way of finding out where it’s going for sure. We just have to guess. Can you guess where it’s going?”

See my brilliant pedagogy at work? I want her to guess one of the locations where her grandpeople live.

“I know where it’s going.”

“Well, we can’t know for sure, but you can take a guess.”

“It’s going to the airport.”

This line intentionally left blank to signify the pause while I replaced my jaw.

“Dude. Dude. You’re 2 and a half. Could you please act more your age?”

“OK. It’s going to Minnesota.”

Touché.

Probably it was just an accident of conversational dynamics that Boo made two clever verbal plays right in a row, but, then again, sometimes it feels like every brain cell I lose is matched by one she gains these days — and that’s no small number.

in amazement,language ·

MommaBob September 23, 2008 at 6:54 am

I love it!

Sorry, but your little stinker there (uh, turkey? angel?) just decided that instead of humoring you like she usually does if you’re gonna pull out them two dollar words, she’s going to mess with your head a little bit.

See the give and take there? 😉

Oh, and I’m convinced those brain cells are migrating to our kids. Just wait for your Blueberry and watch it multiply!

Kyddryn September 23, 2008 at 11:30 am

Babies and small children emit a pheromone that goes straight to the nearest adult brain. There, it simultaneously sucks out brain cells and transfers them to the infant/small child and turns the leftovers into mush.

Yes. Yes they do.

Old people do it in reverse, bumfuzzling the grand-kids on a regular basis with statements like “Back in ninteen tickedy – we called it tickedy because we couldn’t afford the naught – seven, we had to sleep in a barn full of cactus fronds because there were rustlers everywhere. I like chicken.” a la Grandpa Simpson, because they can.

Gives us something to look forward to while we’re trying not to strangle them in the “I know everything and you can’t tell me anything because I am a teen and therefor prepared for all that life will throw at me” phase.

Shade and Sweetwater,
K

sugarplumsmom September 23, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Watch out.. that quick wit turns to major attitude in the teen years…

orlund September 23, 2008 at 5:22 pm

Where else would airplanes go? I like how kid’s keep things simple.

Dan September 24, 2008 at 12:26 am

classic

doodaddy September 26, 2008 at 5:03 pm

@MommaBob – Mess with my head “a little bit”? She messes with it *all the time*!

doodaddy September 26, 2008 at 5:04 pm

@Kyddryn – The weird thing is that I think I’m — well, if not ‘ready’, at least aware of what’s in store. I was a teacher and youth mentor for 15 years — teenagers make sense to me a lot more than adults, sometimes.

I just didn’t think it would happen at age 2!

doodaddy September 26, 2008 at 5:05 pm

@sugarplumsmom – She doesn’t seem to be waiting that long!

doodaddy September 26, 2008 at 5:05 pm

@orlund – I know — total “duh!” moment. I think I actually did a double-take for the camera off to the side.