First French braid

by doodaddy on September 5, 2008

Please don’t make fun: it’s not like she sits still.

in failure,raising a girl ·

Lynnie September 5, 2008 at 11:09 am

My greatest fear in having a girl was having to do her hair. My first French braid was SO much worse. Yours actually looks like a French braid! Someone gave me the advice to do their hair while they’re eating because they’ll sit still focused on their plate while you have time to sort out their hair. Let me tell you, don’t do it!!!!! All they do is touch their hair! With eggs and syrup on their hands! Yuck!

The Other Dawn September 5, 2008 at 11:13 am

Oh my dearie me, what I wouldn’t give for a little girl with HAIR! It’s just not even possible that her and Funk are the same age, with that shining mane of hers.

I guess it’s probably a good thing, given temperament. Funk barely even lets me comb her crazy Nick Nolte hair.

anna September 5, 2008 at 2:16 pm

That’s actually quite good! French braiding is tough, even for a girl. 🙂

doodaddy September 5, 2008 at 2:58 pm

I should come clean — it was just my first one on Boo, not my first one ever. I went through a period in my 20s when I would only date women who would let me French braid their hair. Oddly, it corresponds with a period when I wasn’t dating much. Hm.

Oh, and the eating thing won’t work: Boo has very little interest in food, and anything (the memory of a butterfly, say) can put her off it.

But thanks for the kind words!

lilfootsmommy September 5, 2008 at 5:37 pm

I’m actually very impressed…ac-tu-ally :-)!!! That isn’t a regular french braid, that’s the inside out french braid (for lack of a better term for it). Usually you can’t see the braid part because it’s inside under the surface of the hair, you’ve done the opposite. This one isn’t as easy as the regular french braid. Kudos!

Jerri Ann September 5, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Hey, that looks pretty darn good to me!

Veronica September 5, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Hey, that braid is neater than some of the ponytails I manage on Amy!

doodaddy September 6, 2008 at 12:34 am

Aw, thanks. Like I said, though, I used to do a lot of braiding — just not on Boo yet! I learned this one as “upside down French” or “Swiss braid” — on the theory that the Swiss are like the French upside down, I guess?

Dan September 6, 2008 at 11:33 am

You’re a better man than me. I can’t even do a pony tail

tanya25m September 7, 2008 at 12:52 pm

That’s actually very good… I can just about manage pony tails on my daughter, something like this is beyond my capabilities!!

jennym September 7, 2008 at 10:09 pm

I am very impressed! And happy to see in your comments that I’m not the only one around here who can barely manage to do a pony tail…