Rutabaga Reality

by doodaddy on July 28, 2008

What if you never learned the difference between pretending and reality?

Then you’d be two.

rutabaga

Looks tasty, but let’s get the faceless one.

Boo and I had this conversation today after she watched the “Dinner” Sesame Street podcast and its featurette “Guess What We’re Having For Dinner,” in which a typical middle-class family must face its anti-rutabaga prejudice. (The Spencer Tracy role is taken by the Roman-nosed Sesame Street weatherman. Sidney Poitier is, well, a rutabaga.)

Boo: “Daddy, what are we having for dinner?”

Doodaddy: “Since you ask, bratwurst and beans and chipotle potato salad.” (Please, be impressed: we’ve started doing weekly meal planning after CityMama’s brilliant example.)

Boo: “Can we have rutabaga?”

Doodaddy (thinking — that’s a vegetable, right?): “Um, sure.”

Boo: “Can I have some rutabaga now?”

Doodaddy: “Um, I just used it up this morning. We’ll have to go to the store first.”

(pause)

Boo: “Let’s buy the faceless rutabaga.”

Doodaddy: “OK.”

Usually, Boo knows when she’s pretending, and doesn’t eat, say, the “pretend” green beans that are actually blanket fringe. But in this case, she had a completely straight face, leaving me with this question:

Was she joking?

Not to mention:

Where’d she learn the word ‘faceless’?

I conclude that for Boo, “pretend” and “real” aren’t exactly the same right now, but they do overlap massively. And that’s kind of neat.

tagged as , in amazement,food ·

Mary Beth July 28, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Don’t leave us hanging? Did she insist on having rutabaga for dinner and how did you pull that one off?

doodaddy July 28, 2008 at 5:14 pm

She went down for a nap! Let’s hope that when she wakes up the rutabaga fantasy will be history, otherwise I foresee a late night rutabaga run in my future!

Tracy July 28, 2008 at 5:46 pm

I love watching the blurry lines between reality and imagination at this age. What a blast.

I’d venture a guess that she overheard faceless from you or another adult in her life, either that, or during conversations with a homunculus.

SFDad July 28, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Have you seen Tasty Planner? I have no affiliation with the site or the people who run it, but we’ve just started using the graphical meal planner and it seems decent so far–we like the “convert meal plan to shopping list” feature the best.

(Hello from a former lurker and now a first-time commenter! This isn’t blogspam, I swear!)

doodaddy July 28, 2008 at 8:14 pm

Hey, glad to know you! I had no idea there were more of us here… imagine that!

Anyway, thanks for the link. It totally jives with our geeky planningness — we were big Trixie Tracker users ( http://doodaddy.net/doodads/trixie-tracker-geek/ ) for the first 18 months or so and probably will be again when the blueberry comes around!

DaddyKV July 30, 2008 at 3:58 am

I am expecting in October and I have been SUCKED into the Daddy blogging community. I love reading the stories, trials, tribulations, tantrums, and joys of all the daddy bloggers out there. It really gives me something to not only look forward to but also learn from. First time reader and poster. I will be back. Great blog..

(Shameless plug *check out my site http://www.justdaddys.net*)

Debbie July 30, 2008 at 5:50 pm

So, did you get the rutabaga or not? Sounds like a great opportunity for learning how yucky some good things taste! 🙂

I, myself, have all four kids on their first visit with dad in seven months thus I’m sitting with a French baguette, a wedge of Brie and a glass of wine. NO rutabaga here!

doodaddy July 30, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I’m guessing your wine tastes better than rutabaga.

What does rutabaga taste like, anyway?

Dondi Tiples July 31, 2008 at 3:05 am

My son constantly talks about his imaginary white tiger and their adventures with various Pokemon monsters, which for some reason or other, join forces with Battle B-Daman action figures.

He’s 6.

I’m still waiting for those blurred lines of the real and the imagined to separate themselves. But not too anxiously.

Cameron July 9, 2014 at 9:53 am

In that sesame street episode in regards to the rutabaga episode. That is not a rutabaga. Its actually a Turnip. Look up a turnip and see the indifference’s in them and then look at the episode. This has actually been acknowledge but I cannot find it on the sesame street wiki any longer. I know this doesn’t matter (heh), but as I was watching that episode I notice that didn’t look like a rutabaga and older children might interpret a turnip to a rutabaga as they saw on Sesame street