Babies Having Babies and Killing Blogs

by doodaddy on July 22, 2008

20080424-005

It’s hard to tell without the ultrasound, but Boobaby will be giving birth to a duck. Buddy Boy, on the other hand, will be delivering a panda. (We don’t know who the mother is — scandalous!)

When Boo sees a smaller child, she turns into that crazy old lady from the grocery store — she just has to touch the baby.

She’ll follow around new walkers, “helping” by grabbing a hand, then “helping” by trying to pick up child that she’s just knocked over.

“I’ll help you, baby,” she says to the collapsed pile of plump limbs and soft shoes. “Good job. Good job.”

She considers encouragement to be her biggest job when it comes to babies. To her, parenting is moral support. As a result, Boobaby is a lot more mellow about the prospect of her little sister — whom we’re expecting in November — than I am.

I was hanging out today at the playground with not one but two moms, each of whom has a 6-ish month old girl in addition to an older sister. The ensuing juggling match is exhausting even to watch:

• Feed baby, throw ball for toddler.
  • Park baby in swing, push toddler on merry-go-round.
  • Swing baby upside down by ankles, buckle toddler in stroller.

Whoops, got that last one backwards!

One of the moms can even nurse while walking around — at least I don’t have that to look forward to.

Even without lactation, though, I still count myself two limbs and six hours a day short of what would be needed to accomplish the job of being a parent to two kids under three… and I wonder what I’ll have to give up as a result. My garden? My New York Times?

Gasp… will I give up my blog?

Nah, I hear you and you’re right. Sleep and showers and making the bed may fall by the wayside, but I can’t imagine giving up Doodaddy. Gotta have priorities.

tagged as in Blog,Blueberry,the future,worry ·

Dan July 22, 2008 at 10:43 pm

I’m not going to lie to you, it’s not easy. But it is worth it (eventually, after about 18 months 🙂 )

doodaddy July 22, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Ooooh. Please lie next time.

Please, please lie…

Debbie July 23, 2008 at 1:26 am

You’ll give up that peaceful moment of solitude, but soon enough, you won’t even remember that you had it at all!!!! 🙂

doodaddy July 23, 2008 at 2:06 am

Oh. Which peaceful moment is that? 😉

Dondi Tiples July 23, 2008 at 2:44 am

I’m so glad to have passed that stage of having a toddler, and a newborn all at once. Lots of parents have made it, mayhap after accumulating a sleep debt the size of a small Middle Eastern country, and with their immune systems a tad more haywire than usual. But they kept their sanity (and their blogs), and I have full confidence that you will, too. Good luck and God bless you guys!

@:)

mep July 23, 2008 at 10:51 am

I’m in my fifth week as a parent of two, and it is tough, getting easier, but really tough. We made it to the park without a helper (like my mom, sister-in-law, or other kind visitor) for the first time yesterday. I guess I might have made it to the park on my own earlier if I could walk and breastfeed at the same time, but there’s no way I could pull that off.

My blog has suffered (not for lack of good material just time), but I imagine I’ll be posting more regularly again soon. I posted last night and remembered how great it feels to send something out there.

My friend who is two months into having two kids has offered to bring dinner to my house. “How can you possibly pull that off with two kids?” I asked her. She claims things really do get that much easier and do so sooner than I think they will.

So there’s that.

Veronica July 23, 2008 at 5:42 pm

I am so freaking nervous too. I am going to have a 2 and a half year old and a newborn.

Do you think I can teach Amy how to listen every single time in 6 months?

doodaddy July 25, 2008 at 5:05 pm

I say that whichever of us figures it out first teaches the other one. Sound good?