I Got Nuts at BlogHer

by doodaddy on July 21, 2008

Yes, I went to a BlogHer party.

Finally, I experienced that clumsy thrill of entering a room full of people (whom I generally know only by their goofy pseudonyms). Women who mostly don’t know me, but a few of whom — a tiny few — know me uncomfortably well, having even read those old posts I’ve since re-thunk and deleted.

I had to go, really: I mean, the conference was in my town, after all.

• The best part was meeting some seriously cool blog mentors, and giving at least one of them a tube of toothpaste. (Aimee, Dawn, Sarah,  come to mind, and I know there were others, but Aimee had bought me another glass of wine at that point and it was all hazy.)
  • The second best part was rubbing elbows with big shots who had to nod feebly at me. “Oh, you’re Oh the Joys! Well, I’m Doodaddy.” (Response: Notably gentle look and kind reply.) I’ve always thrived on being a little fish in a big pool, or, in this case, let’s call it the entire South Pacific. A friendlier ocean you couldn’t find.
  • The third best part was being noticed as a, y’know, guy. It’s rare, you see. I think maybe it’s because I was standing next to Backpacking Dad and Mike, within the waft zone of their testosterone.
  • The fourth best part was being downtown in San Francisco, my own city. I love watching tourists walk around and around each other and all the while knowing that I have a little secret — I really live here!

The weirdest part, even weirder than that stranger’s hand on my lower back (who was that, anyway?), was the laundry nuts they were handing out. These turned out to be especially fragrant nuts that you use instead of detergent if you want your clothes to be, y’know, “nutty.” (To be fair, there were better goody bags, I just didn’t feel right taking one, not being, y’know, a “her.”)

So thanks, BlogHer peeps, for the party, the kind words, and, of course, my nuts. Come back soon!

in Blog,community ·

Backpacking Dad July 21, 2008 at 8:04 am

Yeah, I liked meeting Oh the Joys more than meeting you two dorks too :}

It was awesome standing in a little triangle of dude-ness there. It was really great to meet you two.

Dawn July 21, 2008 at 8:11 am

So nice to have a voice with the words – even if the voice was shouted over a freaking loud din of music!

Polly July 22, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Dude, I was hoping we’d cross paths! I was looking out for you, but not totally sure who to look for. Though one of the five men, out of the thousand women, should have been easy. We’ll have to go back to the long-dusty, long ago-derailed campaign of hooking up an actual date mit kids.

RookieMom Whitney July 22, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Hmmm. Polly (who I know in real life) just told me about you. Too bad we didn’t meet at BlogHer. I am looking to get to know the local parent bloggerz, maybe in person.

Other topic: If I could have more babies (already filled my quota of two, thank you) thinking I’d pick Alice for the name. Just another $0.02. It’s not popular as far as I can tell. And, I have been obsessed with the initials ABC since I was a teenager, which I think are awesome. And, I married the right guy to make this happen, (but picked Scarlett instead of Alice last time.) And, it looks like you could make it happen, too.

Your new Bezerkely-based reader,
Whitney

Oh, The Joys July 22, 2008 at 7:21 pm

I enjoyed meeting you, but then never saw you again. Were you only at the party and that was it?

You are no small fish.

You and I are just the same.

xo,
J

doodaddy July 22, 2008 at 11:00 pm

No, I decided to let BlogHer be “her” after that… besides, I didn’t get the day off from my “day job”!

Great to meet you, too. And thanks for your kind and classy words.

Ta,

g.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah July 23, 2008 at 7:15 am

Wait a second – I didn’t get any nuts at BlogHer.

Hmph.

Busy Mom July 23, 2008 at 11:11 am

Can’t believe I didn’t get to see you!!!

Lisa July 23, 2008 at 8:37 pm

Of all the cards that I collected at BlogHer, yours stands out as a favorite. It’s the “dad” under your name that does it — no question.

Anyway, I’ll admit I’m totally guilty of distributing strange products — fruit that gets your laundry clean?!?! — but the hand on your lower back wasn’t mine. But I do wish I could’ve helped you with that little mystery. =D

doodaddy July 25, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Aw, thanks! Your handout was certainly the most interesting — although I’ll admit that I’m a little nervous to actually try them. I’m sure I’ll work up the nerve, though!

Aimee Greeblemonkey July 26, 2008 at 11:31 pm

I was so excited about my toothpaste I took a photo of it, thank you very much!

Seriously. I was thrilled to finally meet you in person. And now I have your cell phone number. Bwaa haaa haaa.