Post 500

by doodaddy on April 28, 2008

If self-referential blog posts are like lemon juice on your hangnails, now’s the time to browse on.

I just noticed with some surprise that this marks my 500th post here at Doodaddy. The timing is propitious; I’d just been pondering why I do this in the first place and whether it’s worth continuing.

Anyway, there are probably dozens of reasons why I do this. Here are my top 3:

• 1. Obviously, I love to share my adventures with these two (and possibly plus):

20080412-008
Frosting is so much better than cake. There really should be an all-frosting cake.

‘Cause they’re so both damn cute I want to scream it from the rooftops.

• 2. I like to “blog it out.”

I share the tough stuff, although there’s been a lot of blogtalk lately about how we’re exploiting our kids through blogging. Is the dollar-per-year ad revenue and adoration of tens of other bloggers enough to justify embarrassing my future teenager? It’s not like I’m putting promotional T-shirts on my kid for cash. (Although I might. Call me.)

I do it because writing about the hard parts — the ways being a stay-at-home dad can be painful or lonely or exhausting — is how I process that stuff. Sure, I’ve got friends for that, too, but I find my time with them is more fun and interactive after I’ve dealt out my raw material in the blog. If I don’t get to write, I get veeeeery boring.

Or, put another way, I bore you with the details so my brick-and-mortar friends get to skip to the short version.

• 3. The challenge is fun.

So why not just journal all these experiences for myself? Why post to a site where anyone in the entire world can see it? Being a stay-at-home parent (or any kind of parent, really) has a huge physical component, to the point where I often feel like a manual laborer. I like the challenge of keeping my “commitment” to the blog. There’s no accountability to a diary — if I stop posting for a couple of days, I get e-mails! (How cool is that?) Because these posts are for public consumption, I try to keep them relatively short and more or less grammatically correct, although I fail on both counts regularly.

Of course, the through-line of all three reasons is that blogging allows me to be part of a community: parents and others who are interested in what I have to say — and call me on my crap, sometimes. You guys rock — I’m completely flattered that you’re interested at all. So, thanks. (Maybe this is a good time to ask if anyone wants to invite me to their BlogHer parties?)

OK, 500th post retrospective is over now. You never know what the future holds, but I’m having enough fun that I suspect there are at least 500 more posts in me!

How about those of you who blog — what keeps you coming back to write more?

tagged as , in Blog,community ·

Debbie April 28, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Hey,
I did blog a response to your pseudo meme. I blog because the connection, the real world, the laughter and the fact that others can learn from my crazy life and I there’s makes me realize that I am normal.

On an aside, I have loved seeing the world through a father’s eyes as my kids see their dad as a phone call. He was once you and I hope you will always be you. I have the utmost admiration for a devoted parent – two better – and you guys seem to have it all figured out.

Now, in all fairness, when you are juggling two at the playground give me a call!!!!! After that, it’s easy! :)
Debbie

Dan April 29, 2008 at 1:20 am

I think I blog as a creative outlet. And also for the community. I used to blog as a record for my kids, but that got lost by the wayside as I just had too much other stuff I wanted to talk about

doodaddy April 29, 2008 at 1:23 am

Funny, I didn’t even think of it as a meme. I’m glad you find my drivel interesting, but we’re *far* from figuring it all out. Everyone’s got their things, right?

doodaddy April 29, 2008 at 1:27 am

Hm. I wonder about the kid thing. I think Boo will be interested in the thing, someday, but I may have to edit it for both brevity and decency!

Xbox4NappyRash April 29, 2008 at 11:10 am

Well, firstly let it be declared unto the world that DooDaddy is the best dad blog around. For various reasons that I won’t go into because the git will get a big head.

Why do I blog? I can’t really remember why I started, probably the same reasons as anyone else, to goof a little, I thought I was profound, and to show how fabulous I was.
You soon realise that is not the case.

I blog now because there is a story unfolding, I want to capture as much of it as possible. I want to remember the stupidness in my head during all these pivotal moments. If there is a happy ending to the story I want, in time, to present the story of the journey to my family and show them how much they were wanted, desired and longed for.

I could sum that all up by saying I now blog, for love.

(I seriously need a holiday…)

Ophelia Rising April 29, 2008 at 12:22 pm

Blogging saved me from a disasterous bout of writer’s block, which is plenty enough reason for me to continue – (whether or not anyone cares to read my often sad and pointless drivel). 😉

I also love the connection to people – such as you, as a matter of fact! – and also love when someone puts into words just what I had been thinking but couldn’t verbalize.

Congratulations on your 500th! I look forward to many more.

doodaddy May 1, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Thanks! I totally agree — most of the time I’m just glad to have an outlet for myself. If no one’s reading, so be it! (The rest of the time I look at my statistics and wonder why I’m down 10% or something stupid like that!)

mep May 2, 2008 at 5:41 am

Hey, I just stumbled across your blog a few days ago and this post guarantees I’ll be back. I’m on board with all of your reasons for blogging. I find it has given me a new outlook on my days. I have a better attitude and sense of humor about the challenging moments because, hey, at least they’re blog fodder. Plus, I like going through the day thinking of what parts of it might be worth sharing. I also love reading other blogs and realizing how many genuine, witty, creative, and thoughtful people are out there.

I found the following part of your post exquisitely hilarious:
“Is the dollar-per-year ad revenue and adoration of tens of other bloggers enough to justify embarrassing my future teenager? It’s not like I’m putting promotional T-shirts on my kid for cash. (Although I might. Call me.)”

doodaddy May 2, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Aw, thanks!

Does this mean you *do* have a promotional T-shirt?

Jessica May 9, 2008 at 2:13 pm

1. The girls are beautiful.

2. It is good to have a place to talk and I think that when our children are old enough to know it will be so norm to be the subject of a blog that there won’t be much embarrassment. Of course we will have to watch more what we share when they are 13+ but right now it is innocent.
3. The community is a lifesaver at times for my sanity. When I feel out of touch and I haven’t blogged in a few days and then I finally do and my friends are still there I feel so special. I also benefit greatly in sharing others lives. Makes me feel normal.

Blog on cause if you didn’t I would miss it.