(Fart) Ice Cream Social

by doodaddy on April 4, 2008

I obsess over my photo collection, so I’m always coming across photos I’ve forgotten completely. This one’s from Boobaby’s first ice cream, last August:

20070818-019
Baby’s First Ice Cream — Smile?

As you can probably tell, she’s just not that into ice cream.

Oddly, then, "Ice Cream Shop" is one of Boo’s favorite games. I’m sure you know it, since it seems like every toddler I’ve ever met invents it the minute they come across a play structure with a "window." Boo had never in her life seen a drive-in window, nor any other window-based food delivery system. Nonetheless, as soon as she noticed the playground window, she insisted on taking my order.

"Whaddaya want kinda iceacream?" she asked me, peering out through the gap.

"Um. What kind of ice cream? How about vanilla."

"No have that."

"O—kay…. Do you have strawberry ice cream?"

"NO HAVE THAT!"

"Righty-o. How about…" Here, I pause to reflect on Boo’s favorite things, and an idea strikes me. "Ladybug ice cream?"

"OK. Yeah. You get it you. OK," she replies. We’re still working on prepositions. And pronouns. (She and I are both still "you" most of the time.)

From then on, I pick ice cream flavors to reflect her tastes. "Water ice cream" is popular, as is anything moderately gross ("worm" and "fart" are tasty as gelato). She’s also fond of surreal flavors like "sky ice cream" or "frustrated ice cream." Today she was tickled by "yogurt ice cream" and "ice cream yogurt," which, as she pointed out, are two different things. (The latter is more fattening.)

"Ice cream shop" is so organic and bizarre that, of course, it’s hugely popular. Whenever Boo starts to take my order, we’re almost immediately inundated by a horde of kids ready either to fill my increasingly eccentric whims — or add to the mayhem by inventing their own. Since their flavors usually involve boogers and rice, I have gotten more than one exasperated look from a parent.

I just hope I haven’t set Boo up for disappointment when, some day, she starts to eat actual ice cream and discovers that her flavors are not among the standard 31. I suppose that’s when she’ll learn the horrible truth that in this world, fantasy can be more satisfying than reality.

On the other hand, maybe by then Ben & Jerry’s really will come out with "Sky Worm Fart Crunch."

in activities,goofiness,playground ·

bill April 4, 2008 at 12:35 pm

That’s a *cute* kid. And still smiling about “Sky Worm Fart Crunch”. I’m going to Godaddy and grabbing that domain.

~Your Alltop neighbor

sugarplumsmom April 4, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Ahh, you will need to bring her down the peninsula to Mtn. View. (I think it’s Mtn. View… if it’s still there) I can’t remember the name (I’m helpful ain’t I?) but there is or was an ice cream shop in Mtn. View that made their ice cream fresh daily and had Rose and Saffron-Pistachio. Rose ice cream was kinda odd… not bad… but different… really did taste like roses. Saffron-Pistachio was a popular favorite.. I haven’t been there in years.

The Other Dawn April 4, 2008 at 1:54 pm

All you need is a really bad cold and one of those ice-cream ball thingys. You could start a helluva business, you and that Boobaby.

sugarplumsmom April 4, 2008 at 2:29 pm

AH! I found it! Rick’s Rather Rich… http://www.ricksicecream.com/

Kelley April 5, 2008 at 4:15 am

My Boo used to play McDonalds. Even though he had never been there in his life. Apparently you can get sultanas and apples there now, but Boo thought of it first!

I am thinking that Fart icecream would be right down his alley, considering that soy slop sure smells like it.

Xbox4NappyRash April 6, 2008 at 4:34 am

I’m quite curious about this ladybug flavour…

Debbie April 6, 2008 at 8:43 pm

That is one pretty baby!!!!!!! The fact that she doesn’t like ice cream IS an issue but you do have a gorgeous subject and she takes a GREAT picture!!!!!!!!

Scott April 8, 2008 at 8:41 am

Ok…..I am thinking that I would be the first in line at Ben & Jerrys for the “Sky Worm Fart Crunch.”

Boo is sooooooooo cute. That picture (even though she isnt into ice-cream) has that look of wonder in her eyes!!!!!

twinbabiesdad April 8, 2008 at 11:17 am

Thanks for reminding me of the language of toddlers.
Even though every fiber of my being wanted to correct the girls when they got their syntax or pronunciation wrong I didn’t. It was too dang cute! So I held my tongue praying they would figure it out eventually (and they did).

Pronunciation has lead to some new family words. One of the girls has trouble with words like Saturn and Pattern. She says “Satter-in” or “Patter-in.” My wife got a funny look from another teacher the other day when she noticed a “patter-in” in a student’s behavior.

Jessica April 8, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Fartnilla is my favorite.

doodaddy April 8, 2008 at 1:55 pm