Fluctuating Crepuscular, and other nasty expressions

by doodaddy on March 29, 2008

Still doing my taxes, still listening to NPR podcasts. Did you hear this one one about kids using curse words? (I love that term "curse words"– it’s dated and sweet, like lemon ambrosia.)

It was pretty uninteresting, to be honest. Their big conclusions are: a) little kids learn bad words first from their parents, b) older kids pick up words from their peer group, and c) it’s a normal part of development and not that big a deal. Um… duh. (It’s better than doing my taxes, I guess.)

Not that it matters to us. Boobaby’s only 2, so we’re still replacing our usual nastiness with "fluctuate" and "crepuscular" — seriously. If she’s gonna cuss, she might as well get some more interesting words than her parents’ generation had.

in language,mischief ·

Rattling the Kettle March 29, 2008 at 8:48 pm

I’ve been finding myself saying “shhhh….ugar” a lot lately. Having spent my formative years in New York and New Jersey, I’ve had a real hard time breaking my cursing habit. But it’s worth it, since a cursing 2-year old is only cute when it’s not yours.

Dan March 30, 2008 at 12:10 am

Our 4 year old daughter does say “shit” on occasion, but it’s used in it’s appropriate context (i.e when she drops her bowl of cereal on the floor). I don’t encourage her to say it by laughing or anything, but i don’t punish her for it either.

sugarplumsmom March 30, 2008 at 8:46 am

LOL.. I have a friend with a 4 year old son. I don’t know how old he was at the time. My friend goes into the garage and one of their kittens decided that was the perfect time to jump around and weave between his feet. He yelled at her “Get back in the house you stupid f’ing little b*tch!”

He comes back inside and his son points and yells at him “Daddy! You said a bad word! You said STUPID!”

doodaddy March 30, 2008 at 9:39 am

Not to mention misusing “bitch,” which as I understand is exclusively for dogs…

Ann Marie March 30, 2008 at 10:32 am

I once dated a guy whose use of the word flactulence or however you SPELL it bugged me so bad.. I dumped him. I mean come on you FARTED DUDE.

doodaddy March 31, 2008 at 6:38 pm

And you know, I have broken up with people for misspellings… so that shows where we’re different!