Worst marketing ever? Or am I just a man lost in my own world?

by doodaddy on March 22, 2008

I just got an e-mail requesting that Doodaddy review a toy site that offers a gift occasion reminder service (just like Amazon and, for that matter, a desk calendar). From the e-mail:

"We know that men in general are typically called ‘thoughtless’ because perhaps they miss a birthday or anniversary. We have tools and a personalized program to help you overcome that and prove everybody [sic] that you may be busy and in your own world, but you are definitely thoughtful."

Man, does that overstate the case. For instance, I remember that my wife’s birthday is around June. Maybe I’m "busy and in my own world," but I’m sure that our anniversary was a few years ago.

They really should have added "As a man, you know you’re sexually ungenerous. So we’ll e-mail you every time you ought to start things out with a massage already!" You know, broaden the scope of their service a little.

Is it crazy of me to be offended? Does it make it any worse that the e-mail came from a woman?

tagged as in Blog,unsolicited advice ·

Xbox4NappyRash March 22, 2008 at 10:23 am

Crazy of you to be actually offended? – Yes.

Is it an archaic and stupid selling angle….Probably…

cryitout March 22, 2008 at 12:39 pm

They should definitely expand this service — plenty of material to mine.

“We know that as a man, you probably leave the lid up all the time, so we email you after every bathroom break …”

doodaddy March 22, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Love that. Except didn’t you tell me you were going to start sitting when you pee?

sugarplumsmom March 22, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Offended about the service itself? no… most of us could use some reminders of important dates. I have a friend whose birthday is in October and I missed it this past year… and I’m pretty sure she turned 40.

The idea that it should be marketed to men with the line about all men being thoughtless is offensive though. Plenty of women are thoughtless too.

doodaddy March 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Like the one who wrote the ad, maybe? I think if it’d been coming from a man then I’d’ve thought it was less funny…

AmyV March 24, 2008 at 6:25 am

My hubby’s a SAHD and I find myself getting more offended by this stuff than he does. I think it’s because I feel I should apologize on behalf of my gender. But he’s used to it — it started in the hospital, when he was basically treated like an unnecessary appendage by hospital staff and his thoughts and feelings were complete discounted.

doodaddy March 24, 2008 at 3:23 pm

And LAUNDRY DETERGENT COMMERCIALS! Don’t even get me started!