Unapologetically Springtime

by doodaddy on March 19, 2008

20080310-041
We’re already up to our knees in spring here. Or the birdseed bucket, maybe.

We in California often feel we need to apologize for our nice weather. Usually this happens to Boobaby and me as we’re telling our Minnesota grandparents about our beach day — a day they spent digging out of the latest snowstorm.

A San Francisco winter is tiring, nonetheless. We get a lot of rain, so we stay-at-home parents need to come up with a lot of indoor activities (like this and this and this).

Spring, on the other hand, means three sunny days followed by two cold-ass foggy days, a pattern that’s repeated until about September. I can deal with a little chilly fog mixed with the sunshine, especially since it means we get to pick ripe blackberries from our own backyard in March.

So if you’re still buried under a snowdrift or canoeing down your town’s Main Street, I won’t apologize for our springtime — but I will use this space to send you a little of our backyard.

If I could blog a blackberry, I would.

Thanks to the miracle of the Internets, I am publishing this post at the very minute that spring hits, 10:48 p.m. today, March 19th, here in San Francisco. Which is like 2 days earlier than I used to think it happened. I guess they moved it up to accommodate the election season.

in amazement,nature,the future ·

Dan March 20, 2008 at 1:06 am

You could probably blog from a blackberry though (see what I did there)

Scott March 20, 2008 at 5:16 am

LOL at Dan!!

Happy Spring to you! Spring to me means sneezing, stuffy or runny nose, headaches…and oh yea…LOTS OF RAIN!! But we have been getting that all winter. Maybe we can get some sunshine soon!

Avery March 20, 2008 at 6:54 am

Hey, no worries. We get a lot of rain here, but the summers are amazing. It all balances out.

That’s one cute bird feeder you got there. ;o)

doodaddy March 20, 2008 at 7:00 am

No kidding, huh? She loves to eat the peanuts out of the seed bucket. I’m sure it’s so wrong, but it just looks so cute.

Until the millet comes out in the diaper.

Hmmmz.

Dd.

P.S. (Dating myself…) You look a little like the librarian-turned-hottie in the video for “Goody Goody Two Shoes”, you know, by Adam Ant. I bet you get that all the time.

Stephen March 20, 2008 at 11:57 am

Great photo! Sounds like you guys are having fun over there. Me, I wish the weather would decide what it wants to do over here in Atlanta. :)

doodaddy March 20, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Atlanta? Georgia? I thought everything was peaches and sun there?

I guess you can’t believe what you learn from Olympics telecasts.

Jessica March 20, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I’m a little jealous. We have had some very pretty days lately but the wind blows so much it is unenjoyable. I long for the peaceful still day and the beautiful green like in your picture.

doodaddy March 20, 2008 at 12:10 pm

You’re jealous! Yay, that was the point!

Just kidding. You wait, July we’ll be fogged in and you’ll be in the pink.

Michele Shores March 20, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Loved your post. I am a stay at home mom. We have crazy weather in Georgia. Snowing one minute summer the next. Very hot summers though. I will enjoy reading some of your other posts.

doodaddy March 20, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Now, hang on. You and Stephen related somehow?

Same state, same last name, you both read my blog… seems improbably coincidental!

He’s your goofy country cousin, huh?

HomeGrownLife March 20, 2008 at 5:50 pm

I am loving the “crown of blooms”… very Spring.
Yes, I am one of those to whom you should blog that blackberry. Still gray and chilly here in CT.