Boobaby Van Winkle

by doodaddy on March 13, 2008

I woke up this morning and Boobaby was 22 years old. She’d left to go to college years ago, but she’s back staying with us until for a couple of months before her internship starts. (She’ll be spending the Southern Hemisphere winter in the Antarctic studying the behavior of really, really cold people. And birds. She’s a budding anthroornithofreeziologist.)

Not that we see much of her; she’s pretty busy with her volunteer tutoring, ballroom dance competitions, and, of course, she likes to get in her time in the art studio. At least I think that’s what it is — all I remember is that she’s teaching, moving, and creating somewhere. Gotta keep those things in your life.

BooOld
Boobaby at 70. (There are far too many time-wasters on the Internet, huh?)

She’s single at the moment, although she dates a fair bit. She had a partner for a year or so in college, but they split amicably months ago. (Boo finally agreed with me that she’s too good for him or her. Besides, I’ve got lots of blog buddies to arrange her marriage with when the time comes.)

One nice thing about having 22-year old Boobaby (Boo Young Woman?) at home is that she can take over the care and feeding of the menagerie she collected during high school. We’ve got bunnies, dogs, lizards, ladybugs, and a one-eyed parrot named "Mikey Mike." That’s a lot of dung to scoop! Especially the ladybugs, man — do they ever poop!

Boo and her sibling(s?) haven’t been out of the house long enough for Working Mom and I to get "empty nest" syndrome, but we’re practicing for it. I’ve started teaching again (finally), so instead of losing my kid(s?), I’m connected to dozens more. Surrogate offspring, if you will. Of course, Boo hated that I was a teacher at her school — don’t even get her started on when I was a chaperone at the prom!

So Boobaby is BooAdult. I look back at her childhood and it does feel like the end of a huge adventure, and although we made many mistakes, they just don’t matter much. The point of the quest was just to get through to the other side, and that’s what we’ve done, more or less intact and more or less happy. And though I do feel that I’m at an ending, I also sense Boobaby’s burgeoning adult power, and I have no doubt that she’ll do great things.

Even in Antarctica.

Wow, that was fun! So fun, in fact, I think I’ll make a meme of it, even though I guess memes are so five minutes ago. I hereby tag for the Rip Van Winkle meme my last five commenters: J. of Playgroups are No Place for Children,  J. of The Barn Bums, K. of Magneto Bold Too, D. of Adams In Arizona (spelled right this time!), and Sugar Plums’ Mom. And The Waterman’s Wife, ’cause she asked. And Scott and Amy, if you have blogs. And anyone else, if you want — let me know.  Write a post about where you (and your kids, if any) will be in 20 years and a day!

tagged as , in Blog,the future ·

Ann Marie March 13, 2008 at 5:17 pm

oh I should do this one.. you gave a fodder.. I must think. boo baby with wrinkles.. I am sorry but that was a little .. disturbing. :)

doodaddy March 13, 2008 at 6:35 pm

You got it! I’m so totally putting you on there… :)

Kaija March 13, 2008 at 11:02 pm

what if she rebells and becomes a conservative republican lawyer?

doodaddy March 13, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Then I’ll write her out of my will completely.

Of course, she’ll have ten times more money than I’ll ever have, so she probably won’t care…

Scott March 14, 2008 at 5:14 am

That was great!! Almost better than the idea I had for you. (almost) But I did love it!! And it is a GREAT idea!!!

I have a blog but I dont get to it very often. But that is such a GREAT idea…that maybe I will soon!!

And love the 70 year old Boobaby pic!! I am afraid that if I did an age thing like that on myself…it would show me in a casket. LOL

doodaddy March 14, 2008 at 7:32 am

Aw, thanks! I had my wife’s outfit all laid out and everything, but, y’know, I thought maybe this would cause less consternation…

Useless Rambler March 14, 2008 at 9:34 am

How fun! And a really neat idea :) (what am I? 10 year old Beaver Cleaver? “Neat-O!”) Have to agree with Ann Marie, tho… 70 year-old Boo was a tad creepy.

(Hey! You’ve been tagged over at my place :) )

Xbox4NappyRash March 14, 2008 at 11:56 am

If I did this one I’d still be trying to come up with not-so-witty phrases for masturbating into containers.

that old age photo thingy is more than nasty.

bring back gorgeous Boo.

doodaddy March 14, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Oh, there are more coming. Wait until you see manga-style Boo!

Jessica March 14, 2008 at 12:23 pm

I am pretty excited about this one. Now to go off and imagine the places my children will go.

Jessica March 14, 2008 at 12:23 pm

Oops, put the wrong email address.

Kelley March 14, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Um, had this up for a few hours getting opinions from others.

Boobaby looks like a cat from CATS. With the light filtering and the aging thing she looks like she is wearing stage makeup!

In twenty years Moo will be my age. I do NOT want to find out whether she will be less ‘old looking’ than me!

doodaddy March 14, 2008 at 5:45 pm

One of the face altering web sites made her look like a monkey. I’m trying to figure out a way to weave *that* picture into a post, too!

Are you really just early 20s? Ah, how I envy you. Seriously, I’m having one of those super-mortal weekends.

debbie March 14, 2008 at 5:52 pm

okay…
I responded to your challenge- Without the age altered photos! Hope you check it out!!!!
As far as the guy on the playground is considered……well……I can only say that I got the same trip from my ex when he would head to the “ground and his complaint was the over friendly guy that talked down to him……
Ummmm…
Mom’s don’t like those paisley women either!

doodaddy March 16, 2008 at 9:23 pm

Debbie, I love yours! I fixed your link, too… gotta stop typing “BlogPot!”