I’m too sexy for my playground

by doodaddy on March 4, 2008

I’m skinny and nerdy, which doesn’t bother me — I’m comfortable that my attractions lie in realms other than the physical. About once every three months, though, I have a day where women seem to pay me all sorts of flattering attention.

Maybe it’s the dad thing (men with babies are attractive, a’ight?), or something chemical (all my pheromones erupting at the same time?), or just random chance.

Whatever. It happens, I’m flattered although flustered, and the next day is back to normal.

Except that yesterday, Working Mom came to the playground with us and was convalescing on a distant bench as I was busily being chatted up by the mommies and nannies. I hope she doesn’t get the idea that’s how I am all the time! I don’t flirt with the playground ladies, really I don’t. Even if I wanted to, most days they don’t pay me any attention, and besides, I actually prefer to play with the kids most of the time.

Sigh. Why is it so hard not to be misunderstood?

Apropos of nothing, it was just pointed out to me that I’m actually on page 3 of a million on the “Hottest Daddy Blogger” page. Anyone feel like nudging up my ranking? You know, just as an ego boost?

in playground,surrounded by mommies,Working Mom ·

Jerseygirl89 March 4, 2008 at 6:15 pm

This is why I’m not as friendly to Dads at the playground – I don’t want them to think I’m hitting on them! Though I’m sure the women at your playground ARE hitting on you.

doodaddy March 4, 2008 at 8:14 pm

The women at my playground are *so* not hitting on me.

Trust me.

cryitout March 5, 2008 at 7:10 am

Hmmm, are you SURE your attractions lie elsewhere? I don’t see it …

Scott March 5, 2008 at 8:43 am

I need to find a kid to take to the park to play so I can get women to hit on me!! LOL

If your wifey says anything….just come back with, “I am a nerdy skinney guy…why would ANY woman hit on me.” LOL

Dawn March 5, 2008 at 9:14 am

No, the actual response should be “what women? I don’t see any other women” while you are looking adoringly at her. 🙂

Xbox4NappyRash March 5, 2008 at 10:09 am

Complaining about being hit on… Dude… seriously…

Scott March 5, 2008 at 10:35 am

True Dawn!!!!! Sorry about that! LOL

Cole Kelly March 5, 2008 at 11:16 am

Hey – I got a little jealous when three extra dads showed up for our kiddie gymnastics lessons today. I’m usually the only ‘game’ in town.

Actually, the attention can be a little odd and I bet you feel the same way. Its very difficult for men and women to be friends outside of marriage and being a stay at home dad puts us in different situations.

SAHD’s do lots of things that perk up the ears of the mom’s and nannies – we are still the oddity. While the attention is fine, if not a little confusing, having Working Mom there to witness makes it even more odd.

I just smile and focus on the lads. It’s a whole lot more fun!

doodaddy March 5, 2008 at 3:47 pm

Hey, thanks for writing! I had the same experience — from being the sole dad to being one of three or four! I think I even blogged it, although I can’t remember when.

Anyway, I’ve never had trouble being friends with women — in fact, ironically, I’ve never really had a man friend until recently. But when I say friends, I mean friends — most of my acquaintances at the park aren’t people I’d probably be friends with. They’re lovely, but, y’know, a 21-year old nanny or a rich mom who drives three SUVs at the same time or just someone with whom I don’t “click” — we’re not likely to get friendly.

That day, though — well, everyone thought I was cool. Luckily (?) the phenomenon has passed!

Jessica March 6, 2008 at 8:53 am