If it ain’t guilt, it’s paranoia

by doodaddy on February 24, 2008

goodwifeguide

I always cook in heels and pearls.

The world’s best masturbator and his wife are coming to dinner tomorrow. I admit that two times ago when they came the pork chops were dry, but last time the meatballs rocked (if I do say so myself), although I guess maybe the eggplant was soggy.

Even so, I wasn’t prepared to hear my wife say this today:

"You’ve been cooking so much lately. Let’s order takeout when they come over."

That’s code, right? For Your cooking kinda sucks? Or Don’t embarrass me anymore?

What is it about being a homemaker that lends itself to critical self-examination?

I fear the worst.

in food,friends,housework ·

Amber February 24, 2008 at 9:24 pm

Nooooo! When I say that to my husband I really mean it… like seriously, lets make life easier for ourselves. How about some Zachary’s pizza tonight? (Even though his cooking is totally awesome). Its just one less thing for him to worry about… just this time.

Maybe thats what she meant…

Rattling the Kettle February 24, 2008 at 9:29 pm

Ouch. As the chef of our house, I feel for you. That just hurts.

Jerseygirl89 February 25, 2008 at 11:41 am

No, she’s just trying to make your life easier. Really.

wornoutwoman February 25, 2008 at 3:08 pm

I’m sure she’s just trying to help. I agree with the commenter above. She knows how hard you work.

doodaddy February 25, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I think you’re probably right — what does it say about my own fragility that I leap to the suspicion, though?

This is a tough gig, sometimes!

Dd.

cake February 26, 2008 at 10:46 am

i agree that it is probably not a comment on your cooking. perhaps SHE feels guilty that you do so much work when people come over, and she wants everyone to get a chance to relax, especially you.
what did you decide to do then?

doodaddy February 26, 2008 at 10:24 pm

We did get takeout after all — she brought home burritos.

Not a good idea, as it turns out — she got food poisoning. (Mine was cheeseless, so that’s what I suspect.)

Sigh.

Anyway, I think you were right about the paranoia, in any case…

Dd.