I’m the Lonely Playground Pusher

by doodaddy on February 12, 2008

20080206-001

What’re you lookin’ at?

Wait, that came out wrong.

I was pushing Boobaby and an older girl on the playground carousel the other day. Her mom wasn’t around (chatting, I think) so I was acting the "nice but not too nice" dad. (Sometimes I feel like I spend most of my life projecting an aura of "harmless.")

Anyway, the three of us were singing and acting daft and generally having a fantastic time for at least 20 minutes, which as you know is like nine hours in "toddler time." Finally, our new friend was called by her mom to leave. She pointed at Boo and asked me in an earnest little lyric soprano twitter,

"Can she be my friend?"

I managed to keep from crying long enough to sniffle out a little affirmative grunt. This new friend pulled Boo into a hug, kissed her on the forehead, and ran off with her mom.

I wish it were that easy for me.

We’ve tried four new playgrounds in the past two weeks, but they’re all a little wrong. They seem too far away or too affluent. Our local playground is empty of kids and filled with dangerously dated equipment.

But if I’m honest with myself, I see that any of these playgrounds would be fine for Boobaby. All she needs is something to climb on and something to dig in. I’m the one who needs my regular, nearby playground to have a certain kind of adult — not necessarily someone who’ll become a major best friend, but, I dunno — someone who gets me, and vice versa.

Someone like all you blog people, actually. Feel like moving? You can come to my playground! No kisses on the forehead for you, but you can share my cookies!

in friends,moving,playground ·

Ophelia Rising February 12, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I’d LOVE to come to your playground! What a cool thing that would be!

I have the same problem, myself – in that I have a difficult time finding good parents to relate to or connect with while on the playground. I think I either come off as too talkative and friendly (needy) or too artsy (weird). These things wouldn’t be bad in some areas, but in our neck of the woods? Not so much.

I need to move. :0

doodaddy February 12, 2008 at 7:35 pm

Yes, yes, please! That would be so cool!

Ain’t gonna happen, is it. There you go getting my hopes up. šŸ™

jessicab February 13, 2008 at 6:06 am

Wouldn’t it be awesome if all the friends you make on the internet lived in the same town. It is so much easier to get to know each other online, just not so easy to interact in person.

Stephen February 13, 2008 at 8:10 am

Wish I could, but there’s the money thing, the distance thing, and the fact that when I play ‘Mom’ for too long, I go crazy. šŸ™‚

Xbox4NappyRash February 13, 2008 at 11:07 am

I’m ashamed to admit that I often let the SAHD stuff you write kind of drift over my head, probably because I don’t(can’t)fully appreciate the situation, so I just Goo and Oooh and Aaaah over the pics of that absolute baby doll you have there.

But this post pulled me right back in, it gave me a wee glimpse of what it must be like, just for a moment. Very nicely written.

rookiemom February 13, 2008 at 4:51 pm

If I didn’t have a totally irrational fear of earthquakes (in my brain it goes, “California! Nothing but earthquakes! DO NOT WANT.”) then I would totally move and come to your playground.

Sadly though, I think I’ll stay here in Texas. We only have tornadoes.

doodaddy February 13, 2008 at 5:06 pm

Tornadoes are WAY scarier. Earthquakes actually get kinda fun after a while. I’m pretty sure no one ever said that about a tornado!

Fancypants McGee February 13, 2008 at 6:10 pm

No, tornadoes are definitely not fun and I don’t think I could ever be convinced that earthquakes are either. Natural disasters scare the bejebus out of me. We just get the leftovers from hurricanes, which means a bunch of rain that may flood the neighbor’s yard. We live on the hill, they live in the hole, so they are actually stealing our mulch by default.

Anyhow, your daughter is cuter than a bug’s ear. Yes, I am from the south… does it show?