Ladybug Party!

by doodaddy on January 31, 2008

20080129-643

My little deer in the headlights. Notice her new best friend, the ladybug, in the foreground!

As I’m sure you know (if you’ve been keeping track), Boobaby turns 2 on Sunday. Yay! We’re having a very small little party (that’s why you weren’t invited — sorry!), the theme of which is "ladybugs." Boo lurves bugs. She chases kids around the playground trying to show them her latest discovery.

So we got lots of ladybug stuff for Sunday, but also — yay! — some actual, live ladybugs. Each kid will get a few to tease for a bit and then we release them all into the garden, where they’ll fly off to eat the aphids and whatnot. Yay!

20080129-638

Examining the merchandise. Yes, that bag is full of bugs.

Anyway, because of the festivities (plus because my MIL is here and so I’m playing host), I might be a little lax on the ol’ blog front for the next few days. Just imagine all the cool bug pictures you’re going to get on the other side of it all! Like these, but better.

You know, I’m just realizing that I’ve never asked if you’re one of those poor souls who’s — gasp! — afraid of bugs! If you are — you might want to take a couple o’ days off…

in activities,family,goals,nature ·

Mrs. Chicken January 31, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I used to be afraid of bugs, but I wanted The Poo to have an appreciation for all of nature (because I’m, like, so nature-y) and so I pretend to like them. And you know what? They ARE less gross now. It’s like aversion therapy in reverse.

Avery January 31, 2008 at 9:18 pm

What a cutie pie! My son likes bugs…from a distance. A praying mantis flew at him once. He screamed like someone was trying to kill him.

doodaddy January 31, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Oh, man. Sorry about that. Ladybugs are a great start…

I used to be a nature teacher, and I got more kids to love spiders… I bet I could work on him.

How is he with snakes?

:), Dd.

Annie February 1, 2008 at 7:55 am

Boobaby is just a doll! And good for her for being into bugs, she is a better girl than I, although she’d get along just fine with my daughter on that front.

Good luck surviving the MIL 😉

rookiemom February 1, 2008 at 9:31 am

Oh, sigh. I am one of those poor souls. Mostly just giant, mutated, killer roaches though. But pretty much anything unnaturally large will send me running.

And yet I have 2 pet snakes. And I can hold tarantulas(as long as they stay calm and don’t move too quickly). I dunno. My fear switches are shorted out.

Love that first picture,btw. It looks like she is looking to you for reassurance.

jessicab February 1, 2008 at 11:30 am

A ladybug party is a cool idea. How in the world do you take care of the lady bugs until the party?

Lil’ Bum is a little bit of a bug lover. Really anything nature. We had a garden spider set up shop under our carport. She made 5 egg sacs and Lil’ Bum loved watching her. Unfortunately the spider has since passed but her sacs are still there. Oh, and her birthday is a week after Boo’s.

Her eyes are gorgeous.

chicago pop February 1, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Bugs! They’re not that different from cheerios, really, and if you’re into the latter, then why not the former? Plus they move by themselves, and are just as crunchy?! And wow, cheerios that can pick up and fly away — AWESOME!!

Is this something that has been passed on from the “naturalist” daddy? What interesting past lives some of us at-homers have…

Can we set up an arranged marriage with my little Spot? He’ll probably have a crush on Boo when he’s old enough to have one…

Jennifer February 1, 2008 at 1:45 pm

She is truly a doll. What a lovely idea for a birthday party!

Dan February 1, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I might get a package of bugs like that and stick them in my wife’s shoes. It will probably end in divorce but it just might be worth it.

Ann Marie February 2, 2008 at 4:07 am

I love ladybugs too. Yea boobaby!
Ok I got to tell you something weird. A few years ago I lived in Raleigh NC an before that I lived in Asheboro NC which was right at two hours away from Raleigh (by my driving anyway which means to the normal person we are talking about 3 hours or so) anyway at one of the colleges (the vet part of State) for some reason they purchased and released MILLIONS.. no BILLIONS.. no TRILLIONS.. no.. I forget the number higher than that.. but you get the point. Well ALL of those little lady bugs some how lost their direction or maybe they didn’t and just didn’t like Raleigh.. made their way to Asheboro. Yes those little pretties made their way that far and they seemed to think that my sons school was a large flower or something because I think each and every one of them lit on that building.. My son went to a school that was decorated as a lady bug. A real live lady bug.. Boo baby would have LOVED that.

Happy Birthday boobady.. hugs from the crazy woman on the internet.

Stephen February 6, 2008 at 2:39 pm

How’d you get the ladybugs?