And I freak out again about little girl body images in our society

by doodaddy on January 30, 2008

Colorformkini

What is my 2-year old learning from this?

On rainy days we get to play with paper dolls! Well, not paper, exactly, but the Colorforms "Dress-Up Fashion" game. And, like all paper dolls I’ve ever seen, when they get stripped down the kids start out in some very chaste underwear — more of a bodysuit, really.

Except — it isn’t. One little girl is wearing what looks like one of those goofy Sports Illustrated swimsuits that can’t actually be submerged in the water. It’s a one-piece with deep scallops above the hips and presumably no back — we’ll call it a T-front. I have a hard time imagining what the Colorforms artist was thinking when he (or she?) decided that this little girl underwear needed to expose just a little more skin. I know, this isn’t as bad as Wal-Mart selling come-hither panties for pre-teens, but it comes kind of close.

Personally, I’d prefer that little Colorform girl be in a union suit, to be honest, but at least a full bodysuit would be OK.

in community,raising a girl ·

Avery January 30, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Union suits don’t get the kind of respect they deserve. I applaud your effort to champion their return. Far too many ankles on display nowadays if you ask me.

But I agree with you about the paper doll. WTF is that about?

I blame the Bratz. Bane of polite society if you ask me.

doodaddy January 30, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Blame the Bratz or the people that buy that shi — I mean, stuff? Try searching youtube for “cussing baby” — *those* are the people that buy their kids slut dolls.

Still… COLORFORMS?

Sigh.

Annie January 31, 2008 at 6:25 am

I’m with you – my paper dolls as a child all wore a vest and pants (a vest being what we Irish refer to as an undershirt).

My friend and I met with our daughters at a local water park a while back – her daughter was clad in the itsy bitsiest teeny weeny bikini – you know the triangle type ones – I just cringed – it’s mad what some people put on their baby girls.

jessicab January 31, 2008 at 8:32 am

It scares me having a daughter growing up today. It is ridiculous they way people are okay with sluty children’s stuff.

I cannot in any way understand why they could have possibly felt it necessary to expose the sides. What kind of messed up mind actually thought , “oh little girls are going to be dressing theses little thing..mmmmmmmmmmm….definitely need to expose some skin or they might not like them.”

rookiemom January 31, 2008 at 10:31 am

Yea, I think it’s a bit much.

And seriously? Those teensy bikinis they make for toddlers? What the heck is that about? Sorry, but I think I should at least get until teenage rebellion sets in to have to deal with my daughter dressing like a hooker. I’m sure not going to voluntarily dress her that way.

Are those clothing manufacturers not aware of the existence of pedophiles?

The Other Dawn January 31, 2008 at 1:53 pm

Yikes. Not to mention the funky tan lines Little Miss Colorform is going to have to deal with.

doodaddy January 31, 2008 at 4:04 pm

OMG, totally. Somehow those little swimsuits are even more disturbing than just letting your kids run around naked or topless…

kim February 22, 2009 at 3:29 pm

OH come on really? I agree about the brats, but I love my chubby little girl in her ruffles and little two piece suit its not sexual in any way.

doodaddy February 23, 2009 at 2:38 am

@kim – Well, opinions seem to run largely against. I think there’s a wide range of what’s appropriate, and some two-pieces might fall into that, BUT I also think that a lot of little-girl fashion is designed too much on the adult model.