Baby’s First Bagel: Ruminating Over New Food

IMAGE_135
IMAGE_136
IMAGE_137
IMAGE_138
IMAGE_139

Mission: Bagel

You know that it’s incorrect to say "seagull," right? (This is a naturalists’ joke, just play along.)

Um, OK, right.

Because there are gulls that live in the mountains, too — "mountain gulls" — and there are gulls that live around lakes — "lake gulls."

Lake gulls, gotcha.

And, of course there are gulls that live around San Francisco Bay. What are those called?

Errr… bay gulls?

Exactly! And they’re great with cream cheese!

You East Coast readers will be appalled, but Boobaby had her first bagel only the other day. (You Australian readers probably gave up on me after the joke and don’t care about round boiled bread anyway. But I digress.)

When Boo really likes some new food, she gets a distant, resolute look on her face that’s about as far away from bliss as you can imagine. She’s concentrating, I suppose — devouring the tasty treat while focusing all her attention on every single morsel.

So it was with her first bagel. (For the purists: it was a Noah’s cinnamon raisin bagel, toasted, with butter.) Boo explored the presented slices for a few minutes, first tearing them into various sizes and shapes before finally settling on a chunk that satisfied her food aesthetic: not too big, not too small.

And then she dug in and was lost to me for the better part of a quarter hour, engrossed by her — well, I guess rumination is the best word for it.  I’m not positive she "enjoyed" her bagel — it seemed more like she was trying to understand the Platonic ideal proto-bagel of which this bagel was a mere shadowy reflection.

When I say I learn a lot from my not-quite-two-year-old daughter, I really mean that I wish I could experience life like she does: for her, every moment is an "Aha!" moment and every new food is a new sensory voyage.

in amazement,food ·

shannah January 10, 2008 at 3:06 am

It’s always fun watching them discover new things…in fact it NEVER gets old! I still enjoy watching my youngest discover new things, LOL.

Dan January 10, 2008 at 4:49 am

Not exactly delurking as I’m new here and have commented on every post I’ve read so far, but thought I’d raise my hand nevertheless.

cryitout January 10, 2008 at 7:51 am

Delurking … bagel is the best, well, almost. travel food. Go boo!

Rattling The Kettle January 10, 2008 at 9:14 am

Noah’s bagels are not even “a mere shadowy reflection” of a real bagel. Get that kid to New York, stat, before she grows up thinking that this non-boiled abomination is what a bagel is supposed to taste like.

Tiff @ Three Peas in a Pod January 10, 2008 at 1:55 pm

It’s kind of fun to watch them like or dislike food. I love there expressions. TIger, my youngest will take a bite and if he doesn’t like it will spit it out and promptly throw it over his shoulder very non chalantly. LOL. He’s such a strange child but he’s my strange child and I love him.!

al January 10, 2008 at 6:05 pm

so, you want us to delurk? as a person that someday hopes to be a parent, i enjoy reading how you swim through your daily challenges and blessings as a parent. thank you for sharing with us (even those of us who don’t delurk ever…)

doodaddy January 10, 2008 at 10:19 pm

Yay! I knew someone would call me on taking Boo to Noah’s! What it is about east coasters that they think their bagels and pizza are soooo much better? I bet you don’t even put yeast and soy pesto on your gluten-free bagels there, the way we do in northern California! πŸ™‚

Stephen January 13, 2008 at 7:28 am

I used to eat bagels just about every morning, and Sarah (our oldest LOVED them. Even let her have a little bit of cream cheese (though she’s allergic to dairy products). They’re so cute when they’re chewing up the huge bagels. πŸ™‚