Potty Training Means Underwear for Little Girls

by doodaddy on December 19, 2007

OMG WTF and GMTFOOH

Wal-Mart’s idea of underwear for girls. OMG. WTF. GMTHOOH.

Boobaby seems to be about to potty train herself. This strikes terror into my heart, because, honestly, diapers just aren’t that hard to deal with, especially compared with…

MESSY ACCIDENTS.

IN PUBLIC PLACES.

FAR FROM HOME.

Worse than all that, though, is the looming threat of panties.  I love that Boo is learning and all that, but for some reason, the idea of buying her underwear (ulp!) completely floors me. Don’t grow up any more!

My undergarment phobia became all the more scary when I read about these tarted-up juniors’ panties. Look at ’em! What is this — some sort of sugar-daddy come-on? Don’t need money if I’ve got a hoo-hoo? Frickin’ hell.

The above-pictured panty abominations were in the girls’ section of a Wal-Mart, no less. They’ve been removed, but geez, is this what the world is coming to?

And since that does seem to be the case,  how can I make my little girl media-savvy enough not to fall into the pit trap laid by these (no doubt male) marketers? Before she’s three?

Argh.

Here’s a link to the original Fox News story.

in fears,raising a girl,teaching,the future ·

Xbox4NappyRash December 19, 2007 at 9:49 am

Creepy in the extreme.

Diapers until marriage I say.

Annie December 19, 2007 at 11:07 am

Hmm – and society wonders in shock at the news that Britney Spears’ sixteen year old sister is pregnant!

That’s disgusting!

I wish you the very best as you embark on potty training – I don’t mind telling you that it has been the most challenging and frustrating aspect of parenting for me, so far! Here’s hoping you have an easier time than we did lol! There are some posts in my archives about potty training and you can see the depths to which we had to sink (ie blatent bribery lol!)

Dawn December 19, 2007 at 6:35 pm

Oof. You used the word “removed” and “panties” in the same post, you are SO going to get some crazy search hits off that one.

doodaddy December 19, 2007 at 9:33 pm

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m a little unnerved that my second-most-popular post is “Live Nude Girls” — about naked children at the beach. At least it’s still running behind my famous Krispy Kreme wedding cake post, which is easily a third of my traffic! I totally need ads on that page. 🙂

choosydad December 20, 2007 at 12:15 pm

As my little girl has gotten older, we’ve been disgusted at the style of clothing available for her age group. (She’s six now.) Mall stores with expensive brand name fashions are the worst. It used to be that we could shop at places like Wal-Mart and find generic clothing styles that didn’t succumb to the trends of preteen sluttiness. But now it’s practically impossible to find her a pair of jeans that aren’t low cut, tight as sausage-casing, and worn-white around her ass cheeks. I don’t care if her friends are wearing them – I don’t want my daughter’s “coin slot” showing. The only solution we’ve found is to get rid of television (and its fashion influences) and try and teach our kids about decency.

doodaddy December 20, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Hey, choosy, and welcome…

Just curious — do you think it’s better to teach them decency (which we all want to do) without a TV around? I mean, sure, for a six-year old that’s a really good choice, but when they get a little older, if you’ve sheltered them from the lowest parts of culture — you know, the gender stereotyping and the prejudices and whatnot — do you think they’re going to be able to make the right choices as easily?

I know that sounds like a rhetorical question, but it’s not — I really don’t know where I stand on that all. Sometimes I want to chuck the TV — heck, sometimes I want to go live in a castle surrounded by a moat — but then I wonder if that’s the right response.

Sigh.

Dd.

choosydad December 20, 2007 at 6:56 pm

LOL. The moat might be going a little too far, but there’s definitely a happy median. I sent you an email with more of a response, because I thought it would be too long for your comments.

Long story short – I’d rather my kids learn of stereotypes, prejudices and the “evils” of society by seeing it in real life, instead of from the TV. Spending less time indoors in front of the tube allows them to spend more time in the real world.