Toddlers Cussing: Gonna Get an Adult Rating For This One, For Sure

by doodaddy on December 18, 2007

Mike and Emme took us to a kids’ museum a few days ago. Boobaby, misidentifying a crab model (yeah, and she’s a naturalist’s kid!) shouted out,

"Fuck! Fuck!"

Um, what? The look on Mike’s face was priceless — a mixture of "Man, did you she really say that?" and "What the hell, did you teach her that?" (I get that look a lot, actually. I think many parents are somewhere between impressed with and appalled at my parenting strategies.)

But you see (I quickly explained) through the magic of Boobabish letter substitution "G" can become "K" and "R" fades away: Boo was really saying "frog."

Of course, "B" becomes "P," too, so if she’d been right about our little crustacean friend she would have been screaming

"Crap! Crap!"

At least she’s not loudly addressing her own private parts in public anymore. Now it’s just fucks, craps, and, of course, still poopy. Last night out at the Japanese restaurant:

"Big poopy in my diaper!"

Sigh. No confusing what that means.

tagged as in goofiness,language ·

Dawn December 18, 2007 at 5:43 pm

oh phonological processing, how I miss thee professionally….

Jared December 19, 2007 at 7:19 pm

Can’t wait for my son to talk! 🙂 My neice always yells, “Give me a piss!” I found out later that she wanted a kiss. Definitely had me boggled for a minute or two…

Kelley December 19, 2007 at 9:10 pm

awww, too cute. Made me spurt water out of my nose…..

Conversation with my 14 year old:

‘He is such a pr@@k’
‘WHAT did you say?’
‘He is such a pr@@k’
‘A WHAT!!!!’
‘A pr@@k Mum, jeez aren’t you listening?’

Then I had to explain to her that I wasn’t hard of hearing….

Kelley December 19, 2007 at 9:12 pm

dont know why that word came up as an email addy. I was trying to be *snort* discrete…

Can you fix it?

doodaddy December 19, 2007 at 9:39 pm

I don’t seem to be able to, no… sorry!

Prick, I assume, is the word we’re going for? Did he think it meant something else? Like, something you’d maybe think was OK to say in front of your mom?

I heart teenagers. I miss teaching. Sigh.

Dd.

Kelley December 19, 2007 at 10:05 pm

Bizarre that it did that. Oh so I can say prick on your blog then *snort*

I can send you 2 if you like. I will swap them for Boobaby and you can see what she will turn out like. My girls were sweet and wonderful like yours once.

(honestly they still are)

doodaddy December 19, 2007 at 11:11 pm

You can say prick if I can say… well, all the stuff I said!

To tell you the truth, I was always best with teenagers as that cool uncle-like guy who they’re not related to. I have *no* idea how I’m going to do with my own! Piss-poor, probably!

Dd.

jessicab December 27, 2007 at 12:46 pm

That made me laugh out loud. I better be careful or I’ll get fired.