Fashion Photo Retouching for Children: Creepy, Gross, or Both?

by doodaddy on August 8, 2007

Someone (in jest) sent me a link to this horrible, horrible site that promises to take pictures of our cute, wholesome children and turn them into plastic, generic grotesques:

cmsonline

Professional Pageant Photo Retouching” — really, click on it, because it has to be seen to be believed.

The name of the site — “Professional Pageant Photo Retouching” — probably should have tipped me off, but I clicked on it anyway. I’m certainly no stranger to the occasional foray into Photoshop. I’ve removed at least a dozen zits from myself, and I sharpen Boobaby’s eyes sometimes if the light’s bad. And yes, I’ll occasionally “pose” a picture for a better background.

But this is bad — Jon Benet bad. Why — oh why! — would anyone do this to their children?

Plus — couldn’t she have just worn the hat? Do beauty pageants have a “not-too-much-forehead” rule?

Let.

Children.

Be.

Children.

in oddparents ·

Annie August 8, 2007 at 1:01 pm

I’m not sure whether to laugh, cry or throw up?

Blog Antagonist August 8, 2007 at 6:04 pm

That? Is creepy. Like….Bride of Chucky creepy. ((shudder))

Where I live, pageants are pretty danged popular. My neice has been in quite a few. Maybe it’s because I don’t have girls, but…I don’t get the appeal. I think it’s icky to the extreme.

JaniceNW August 8, 2007 at 11:38 pm

I am so anti-pagaent it’s not even funny. That might come from being a northern girl, I don’t know. Women are objectified enough, now let’s do it to little girls and legally no less. EEEEEEEEERRRR NNTTTTTTTTT, buzzer say bad thing. Stop now.

Xbox4NappyRash August 9, 2007 at 1:13 am

It’s not creepy, frogs are creepy, rubber gloves are creepy, this, is revolting.

Taste Like Crazy August 9, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Do you remember those “Kid Sister and My Buddy” dolls?

The picture on the right reminds me of my Kid Sister.

I *do* remember those! I wasn’t supposed to play with them — we boys got “Star Trek” dolls — but my elementary school friend Melanie (who-later-became-Laurence, isn’t that an odd twist) had them and we played with hers.

Maybe that’s why people want their daughter to look like that…

:), Dd.

catie July 28, 2008 at 10:29 am

wow… thats really messed up. those kids are already so adorable and photogenic why make them look like a robot with skin pasted on them? the parents that do that really need to think if they didnt get enough time playing with their my buddy dolls and barbies…and when you have a child.. its not the time to do that.

doodaddy July 28, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I know — it boggles the mind, huh? Even more disturbing is the number of hits I get from people *looking* for the “fashion photo retouching”! I should put more ads on that page. And maybe some parenting resources…