Sharp Eyes

by doodaddy on June 23, 2007

Everyone knows Good Night, Gorilla, right? It’s that board book where a gorilla escapes, steals the zookeeper’s keys, and then frees the rest of the animals. (Spoiler alert! Plot elements revealed below!)

goodgorilla

Can you see the balloon? Click the picture to make it bigger, if you want. Go on, I dare you.

I was reading it with Boo last night when she pointed to this page and said “ba-woo” — balloon.

Do you see it? I sure didn’t.

My tiny little girl constantly notices things I miss — and I pride myself on my powers of observation! Walking down the street, she’ll come out with a “mowh-mowh” — I see no cat, but sure enough, we pass it a hundred yards later. She’ll call out “up-up” (i.e., “airplane”) when there’s a speck of a jet miles overhead, blending in with the clouds.

It turns out that a pink balloon gets released from the gorilla’s cage back on page one and thereafter appears on every single page. Yes, I can hear you all shouting “I already knew that!”

To which I can only say that you must be more observant than me.

Join the club.

tagged as in aging,amazement,pride ·

Annie June 23, 2007 at 7:47 am

We don’t have this book – must have a look for it. And, I can’t see anything remotely resembling a baloon!

HomeGrownLife June 23, 2007 at 5:17 pm

Wow… she will be the type of kid to spot wildlife when driving by a field or forest! I’m impressed b/c I had to “click” the picture to even see the balloon.

Snuffy June 24, 2007 at 1:43 am

Well actually, I had no idea because I don’t know the story. But I do know the point you are making – that’s why I teach. I love the fact that kids see things what we don’t. BUT we do see things that they don’t too. We are just different. They pay attention to what is important to them and we pay attention to what is important to us. And how great is that!

Ann Marie June 24, 2007 at 3:18 am

Dude!!! it is up by the MOON! I spotted without even CLICKING. Yea i have a great mind like that. I see things.. sometimes things i wish I hadn’t. LOL

How are you???

cryitout June 24, 2007 at 9:09 pm

We are on a serious, scary brain link or something, because I am right in the middle of writing something for The Poop about hidden images in children’s books. Did you see Ernie and Babar dolls yet? They’re in there, too, though I won’t tell you the page. You’ll find them. I tried to interview Peggy Rathmann, but her publicist said she’s too busy. Bummer.

Let me know if Boo finds any more hidden images in books, and I’ll be sure to list them.

Hope all is well!

Mike

aimee/greeblemonkey June 26, 2007 at 1:07 pm

I love how they notice everything, it’s so cool!