Nine Truths and a Lie

by doodaddy on May 8, 2007

I got tagged by Blog Antagonist to list ten interesting things about myself. Apart from the obvious, of course — I’m a stay-at-home dad and my wedding cake was made with Krispy Kreme doughnuts — I’m a little hard pressed to come up with ten. I’m kind of boring.

So, to spice things up, remember that camp game, Two Truths and a Lie? Where you say three things and people have to guess which one is false? That’s how I’m going to do this one… there will be a hidden lie in there and you have to figure out which one it is.

But here goes:

1. I love animals. I’ve been lucky enough to have had pretty close relationships with a huge range of ’em, from bugs to whales. That’s me helping rescue a whale. Yes, those are flip-up “BluBlockers” I’m wearing.
  2. I’ve worked as a youth mentor, and there are still about a dozen teenagers who keep in touch with me and ask me advice. This makes me incredibly proud. My secret is that I don’t get freaked out when kids tell me weird things about themselves.
  3. I read young adult and children’s books more than adult books. I like the boy stuff, the girl stuff, the kid stuff, even the science fiction stuff. Just not the trashy stuff.
    Afternoon on a Hill
    I will be the gladdest thing
    Under the sun!
    I will touch a hundred flowers
    And not pick one.
    I will look at cliffs and clouds
    With quiet eyes,
    Watch the wind bow down the grass,
    And the grass rise.
    And when lights begin to show
    Up from the town,
    I will mark which must be mine,
    And then start down!
  4. I’ve blogged this already, but I cry a lot, at movies and the news and stuff. I cry most about touchingly happy and hopeful things, second most about sad things.
  5. My favorite poem is “Afternoon on a Hill,” by Edna St. Vincent Millay.
  6. From time to time I write silly songs. My most recent is a parody of “Hey Ya!” that’s about baby toys. “Break it, break it break it, break it break it, break it break it like a brand new toy…”
  7. I had a “My Turn” piece published in Newsweek when I was 17 years old. (Still my only non-professional publication!)Edited to reflect my new reality!
  8. I am a rule follower. I have a really hard time not doing what I’m told.
  9. I have a birthmark in the shape of the state of Texas.
  10. I’m completely addicted to coffee. The guys at Peet’s know me and my daughter by name. (Clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as “interesting” goes.)

So… Which one is the lie?

Now I’m supposed to pass on the tag to five other bloggers for them to write about themselves. I choose:

• Aimee at Greeblemonkey, because she’s cool, and so I bet there’s some unexposed interesting stuff in there.
  • Aimee’s husband Bryan because we think we might be psychically related and I’d like to find out for sure.
  • Deacon Dave, a friend of BusyMom‘s, because I love deacons.
  • Ann Marie, The Waterman’s Wife, because she has a toothache and could use getting her mind off of it.
  • Amanda Mandajuice, because I think she just gets it.

I also categorically add these people to my tag-you’re-it list: Mike from Cry it Out, Rachael at CrankMama, BusyMom herself, and, oh, how about Barack Obama. They’ve probably been tagged before and they’re all probably too busy, but they’re interesting folks and I’d love to know more.

tagged as , in Blog,doughnuts,pride ·

cryitout May 8, 2007 at 10:00 am

Hmmm, I’m going with the birthmark …
Thanks for the tag!

Blog Antagonist May 8, 2007 at 11:35 am

Hey…I like that spin. Wish I’d thought of it! I’m going to guess #8. You don’t strike me as the type of person to blindly follow anybody or anything. Case in point; you being a SAHD. That’s definitely a rule breaker.

DeaconDave May 8, 2007 at 5:04 pm

Yea, I have a hard time with the “rule Follower” bit, I’ll guess thats the false one. Oh no, now I have to make-up, oh, I mean, share, ten things about myself… thanks for the tag

Her Bad Mother May 8, 2007 at 5:56 pm

I’m guessing that the rule-follower one is the lie, but I really wanted to guess that the complete coffee addiction is a lie, because, you know, that would be kinda funny to lie about (‘oh, no, I’m only *mildly* addicted to coffee; I’ll only step on one, maybe two, homeless people to get to my morning espresso.’)

doodaddy May 8, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Hmmm… I’m not going to tell ya just yet, but I’m finding it interesting that “Rule Follower” is the top pick. Everyone seems to think I’m kind of a rebel. Cool!

@Bad Mother~ So cool to see you check me out! Totally honored. (I’m sort of honored and amazed that anyone reads my stuff, actually, but there you go.)

Interesting about the “what you lie about” thing, too… I remember from camp that some “smart” (“geeky”?) kids would figure out that the way to win the game was to be completely boring. Like “I ate a bagel for breakfast” would be the lie, because I only ate half a bagel.

Busy Mom May 9, 2007 at 6:42 am

Done!

aimee/greeblemonkey May 9, 2007 at 1:02 pm

I am guessing the poem just because it’s so random.

aimee/greeblemonkey May 9, 2007 at 1:03 pm

And I know you tagged Bryan just because you wanted him to actually make a blog post in 2007.

doodaddy May 9, 2007 at 4:49 pm

@BusyMom~ Wow, you actually did it! I’m astounded.

@aimee~ Nope! I really do love that poem! It reminds me of the kinds of things I like to do — I love to touch flowers without picking them.

And yep, I thought maybe Bryan could use a little encouragement!

Ann Marie May 10, 2007 at 5:06 pm

Dude!!! you never told us which one was a lie! Or did I miss it.
I kinda thought the rule follower one was a lie. You just don’t seem like the type to have time to worry about rules and all.

by the way I am done now. I am soooo sorry that it took me so long but I got behind on blog reading with the tooth and the travel. I have to say I am COMPLETELY honored you tagged me. Why does honored look like I did not spell it right??

CrankMama May 10, 2007 at 5:32 pm

Well i’m posting one big ugly truth today at my site. does that count?

doodaddy May 10, 2007 at 7:34 pm

@Ann Marie~ I’m saving that for a future post! I’ll give you a hint, though: it’s not the rule follower thing. (I am sooooo) a rule follower.

@CrankMama~ Well done. That must have been really hard.