Live nude girls

by doodaddy on March 29, 2007

Funnily enough, I never thought of myself as a prude.

My Park Buddy and I went down to the beach today. (Just to lord it over those of you from snowy climes, it’s gorgeous in San Francisco right now.) We were on the beach for about two hours. One family was there when we got there and still there when we left, and they had a little girl with them who was completely nude the entire time. The girl wasn’t yet three, but was quite tall and astonishingly verbal — both my friend and I guessed that she was four or five.

So a few thoughts crossed my mind about this:

• Good: The Sand. I think naked is probably a pretty comfortable way for a baby to enjoy a beach. The little girl got sandy, rinsed, got sandy, rinsed, but never had the discomfort of a soaked swim diaper or wet clothes or sand in the elastic of her pants.
  • Bad: The Sun. I keep Boo covered most of the time because of sun protection; this little pale girl probably had sunscreen on, but it’s so easy to miss a spot. (They didn’t have an umbrella and there are no trees at that particular beach.)
  • Ugly: The Freaks. OK, hate to say it, but we live in a weird, weird world. Were there any weirdos out today? I dunno, but I don’t know that we would have noticed. The beach has a path along it that tourists are always on, taking pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge and so on. Were any of them taking pictures of this little girl? I don’t know, but I sure wouldn’t want to be checking all around me all the time. What would you say, anyway? As I read on a photo blog recently, it’s almost always completely legal in the U.S. to take pictures in public, even of children.

So, am I crazy? Sure, I hate that we live in a world where we have to think like this, and it would be wonderful if all children could be naked whenever they were more comfortable that way (in other words, most of the time).

But we don’t live in that world, we live in this one. It’s horrible that a 3-year old would be subject to such things, but when the solution is as simple as some swim trunks, it just seems like a reasonable compromise.

in beach,oddparents ·

Blog Antagonist March 29, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Mmmmmm, I’m with you. When my boys were babies nudity didn’t bother or really even occur to me much. They liked naked, so naked they were. But after they got to be almost but not quite little boys, I began to think about the ugliness a lot and began to cover them up.

I don’t know what I would do if I had girls. Hmmm. Maybe those Middle Eastern folks are onto something with that Burkah idea.

doodaddy March 29, 2007 at 3:52 pm

@BA~ No kidding. Thanks for chiming in, too… it was definitely one of those Well, maybe there’s just something wrong with me moments.

Dd.

Mom on Coffee April 2, 2007 at 3:39 am

You have a fantastic blog! So glad I found it.

I think you really hit right on with this post. My kids…at home I can’t pay them to stay dressed. As long as its only our crew here they are pretty much undies only. But, out anywhere, its clothes on! Maybe my paranoia runs some aspects of my life, but this is one area I let it run rampant. Too many sickos!!! WAY too many!

doodaddy April 2, 2007 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I like your blog, too. I thought maybe small-town living would have insulated you from this kind of worry? Guess not, huh?

Milli July 31, 2008 at 9:28 am

“Sure, I hate that we live in a world where we have to think like this”

We don’t. That’s the problem. In most other countries it would be ignored as normal, the parents or the kids choice or whatever.

But here in the US we have this terrible complex and fear which seems to be based on “nakedness = sex”. Its quite recent, the last 15 to 20 years, and its rediculous even for adults, let alone 5 year olds!

Don’t blame the weirdos, they’ve been around for thousands of years.

So maybe its our fault for letting freaky do-gooders change our lives in a less than innocent way.

doodaddy July 31, 2008 at 10:30 am

You’re right, of course, and in the year since I wrote this I’ve gotten a lot more philosophical about the whole thing. (Something about having a toddler of my own who tears her clothes off at every opportunity…)

Henry - Fishing Shop April 16, 2009 at 5:41 am

Completely agree with you on this point. We live in a weird world. I would not allow my girl or my sun be naked on the beach, cuz you are right everybody can look and even take pictures of them and then use them for some reason.. we live in a weird weird world.