Vomit envy

by doodaddy on March 21, 2007

I caught this the other day over at Cry it Out, Mike Adamick’s blog. The priceless quote is:

“I had to vomit every now and then, but I grew to believe it was a small price to pay for a whole day of me-time.”

Sadly, I know exactly whereof he speaks: I dream of having a vomit-filled day off.

Working Mom occasionally works on a weekend day, and even when she doesn’t, weekends are very much “share-care” time. I can’t remember the last day I had truly, truly “off” that I didn’t spend cleaning out the garage or organizing the hall closet.

You might be wondering why I’m whining to you about all this, rather than just telling WM herself. She’s a loving, intelligent, caring person and I’m sure you know that she’d work out a day off for me if I told her I needed it. I just feel so guilty asking for any time off, sick or not. After all, she’s working hard and missing all sorts of time she’d love to be spending with Boobaby.

Every time I get tired of a task — on the fourteenth load of laundry, say — I think to myself, “You’re doing this so you can stay home with your daughter.” Like housework is my quid pro quo for being allowed to be the homemaker.

in stay-at-home guilt,whining,Working Mom ·

cryitout March 21, 2007 at 3:18 pm

Sadly, I’m feeling much better — but thanks for the link love. The last time I had a full off day was father’s day, when Dana shipped me off to a day spa. I can’t wait for the next one…. You should try it.

doodaddy March 21, 2007 at 3:30 pm

@Mike~ Aw, sure, thanks for you. I almost didn’t post it but then Aimee the Greeblemonkey told me that I shouldn’t be intimidated by you ’cause you’re not all that. (Swear to god, she did.)

I don’t know what I’d do at a day spa. Do they have archery, like camp?
;) ,

Dd.

aimee/greeblemonkey March 22, 2007 at 8:31 am

You’re starting stuff. I don’t even know Cry It Out.

And P.S. I won’t vomit for a day off. A little sinus infection… maybe.

doodaddy March 22, 2007 at 1:24 pm

@Aimee~ Oh, lordy, you’re right — I got you confused with Rachael the Crank Mama who told me about it… I blame the HOT day at the zoo. Boobaby didn’t get fussy (she never gets fussy if there are meerkats around), but I sure did.

So sorry!

Dd.

aimee/greeblemonkey March 22, 2007 at 1:30 pm

LOL! That’s awesome! I feel so special!

CrankMama March 22, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Darlin,
Everybody needs some free time –WITHOUT vomit… you’ve surely earned yours.

doodaddy March 23, 2007 at 3:30 am

@aimee~ You are special! Thought you’d know that by now!

@CrankMama~ Shows what you know. I sit on the couch eating bon bons all day, letting the Roomba babysit for me.

Seriously, though, I just don’t know how to get started. I’ll kick back for a little while on Sunday mornings, but that’s about it. Sundays Working Mom can get really stressed out about going back to work, and I feel like I have to hold it together by getting the house in order and being available as a resource.

My park buddy advised a Sunday babysitter — theirs is a lifesaver, lets them do errands and an early date. But WM understandably doesn’t want to give up any of her hard-earned time with Boobaby!

I think this is one of those cases where “SAHD families” and “SAHM families” aren’t entirely mirror images of one another.

Dd.